The video category of Ancient History focuses on exploring and understanding the civilizations, cultures, events, and people that inhabited the world in ancient times. These videos delve into the ancient civilizations of Egypt, Mesopotamia, Greece, Rome, China, and others, providing in-depth knowledge about their political systems, social structures, religious beliefs, and technological advancements. Ancient History videos also cover significant historical events such as wars, conquests, and the rise and fall of empires, shedding light on the factors that shaped the ancient world.
These videos aim to educate and entertain viewers by presenting captivating narratives and expert analysis. They often utilize archaeological discoveries, primary sources, and historical interpretations to provide a comprehensive understanding of ancient civilizations. Ancient History videos also delve into the daily lives of ordinary people, exploring their customs, traditions, and contributions to society. By offering a window into the past, this category of videos allows viewers to gain a deeper appreciation for the rich and diverse history of humanity and the legacies that ancient civilizations have left behind.
- Did Nero Really Fiddle When Rome Burned? - YouTubeView SummarySummaryThe popular phrase 'Nero fiddled while Rome burned' is often cited as an example of indifference in the face of disaster. However, the historical accuracy of this saying is questionable. The video investigates the origin of the phrase and provides evidence suggesting that Emperor Nero may not have been the callous ruler as often depicted. Instead, it's revealed that Nero took immediate action upon learning of the fire, providing aid and relief to the citizens of Rome.Click to read more
- 6 Ancient Human Species We Once Co-Existed With - YouTubeView SummarySummaryDive into the ancient past and discover six remarkable human species that once roamed the Earth alongside Homo sapiens. This quick overview introduces you to Neanderthals, Homo erectus, Homo heidelbergensis, Homo floresiensis, Homo naledi, and Denisovans, shedding light on their unique characteristics, adaptations, and the mysteries surrounding their existence and eventual extinction.Click to read more
- Creation of the Medieval Roman Army - YouTubeView SummarySummaryThe Kings and Generals YouTube channel provides an in-depth look into how the Byzantine Empire sustained the Roman military legacy, adapting it to fit the medieval context. The video delves into the differences and evolutions from the Roman legions to the Byzantine strategies, emphasizing the adaptability and resilience of the Byzantine military through periods of change. It also highlights the influence of foreign tactics and the creation of elite units like the heavy horse archers, showing a military that was continuously refining its doctrine to maintain its prowess.Click to read more
- Hanging Gardens of Babylon - The Seven Wonders of the Ancient World - See U in History - YouTubeView SummarySummaryThe Hanging Gardens of Babylon, a marvel of ancient architecture, was built around 600 BC in the Babylonian Empire. King Nebuchadnezzar II constructed the gardens for his wife, Amytis of Media, to remind her of her mountainous homeland. Despite being one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World, their existence is debated due to the lack of concrete evidence.Click to read more
- Ancient Mesopotamia 101 | National Geographic - YouTubeView SummarySummaryAncient Mesopotamia, often referred to as the cradle of civilization, was a region nestled between the Tigris and Euphrates rivers. This fertile land fostered the growth of some of the world's first cities and witnessed numerous innovations. Mesopotamians made advancements in mathematics, astronomy, and writing, including the development of cuneiform. They laid the groundwork for many aspects of modern society, from the concept of a 60-minute hour to the creation of a standardized justice system through the Code of Hammurabi.Click to read more
- Module 1 Lecture 3 Myths of Creation - YouTubeView SummarySummaryThis video delves into the diverse and complex Greek myths of creation as depicted in Hesiod's Theogony, highlighting the lack of a singular creation story in Greek mythology. Unlike the monotheistic Genesis account, the Greeks had multiple authors contributing to a rich tapestry of creation tales, each with its own nuances. From the primordial chaos to the emergence of the Titans and the birth of the Olympian gods, this narrative is far from linear, embracing contradictions and the interplay of light and darkness, love and violence.Click to read more
- Art of Ancient Egypt - YouTubeView SummarySummaryThis video delves into the intricacies of Ancient Egyptian Art, a civilization renowned for its rich cultural heritage and artistry. From the well-documented kingdoms to the iconic pyramids and the reverence of their deities, the content covers the significance of aesthetics, religion, and power in Egyptian art. It explains how art served as a political tool and a means to immortalize pharaohs. Moreover, the preservation of artifacts through Egypt’s dry climate and the discovery of tombs like King Tut's offer a glimpse into the past, revealing the biases and priorities of ancient Egyptian society.Click to read more